The International Research Experience for Students (IRES) program is hosted by the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech in partnership with the University of Nottingham, U.K. and supports international research experiences for Virginia Tech engineering students.
Who May Apply
- United States Citizens or permanent residents.
- Undergraduate students at junior standing or above by January 2017
- Full-time graduate students graduating after May 2017
The IRES program will provide eligible VT engineering students with the unique opportunity to work on collaborative research. Students will investigate the critical research areas of next-generation electrical power systems. This will involve developing environmentally-friendly transport systems and the human factors issues that accompany their use and adoption.
Key features of this international research experience include:
- Paid summer research for 10 weeks at the University of Nottingham, U.K.
- This program includes two mandatory phases:
- Predeparture Workshops at Virginia Tech: three workshops at Virginia Tech during the Spring 2017 semester, plus a three-week Research Planning Seminar to be held May 22-June 9, 2017. (*tenatative dates*)
- International Research Experience: A seven-week overseas research experience with one of the University of Nottingham’s internationally recognized research groups: the Power Electronics, Machines and Control Research Group (PEMC), the Rolls-Royce University Technology Center (UTC) and/or the Human Factors Research Group (HFRG) Geoenergy Research Centre (GeRC), Mechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering/ Polymer Engineering (Dept). The expectation is that research is treated as a full-time job. Tentative dates for this portion of the program are June 19-August 4, 2017.
Following the overseas experience, students will present their research findings at a student research symposium or professional conference.
This program is funded by a National Science Foundation (NSF) Award for a three year period (Summer 2014-2017).
For more detailed information, see the Program Details page.
WATCH Virginia Tech Students speak about the program.
The deadline to APPLY for the (Summer 2017) program is October 28, 2016.